Saturday, November 28, 2015

Radish and Broccoli Stalk Salad with Sumac




















I'm not exactly doing a cleansing diet after Thanksgiving, but I am craving foods that are clean and pure, so I decided to make a Radish and Kohlrabi Salad similar to one I had at the wonderful Mamnoon Restaurant in Seattle recently. I enjoy replicating good restaurant recipes and this salad was one of the highlights of my visit there. I didn't have any Kohlrabi so I substituted Broccoli Stalks, as they taste very similar to me and I didn't have the beautiful red fleshed radishes they had, so I combined Daikon White Radish cut in pieces with regular red Radishes along with some Lemon, Olive Oil and Sumac - a tart flavored spice made from berries often used in Middle Eastern cooking - usually as a seasoning for rice or kebabs.  While this salad wasn't exactly the same, it was very close and it made me very happy as I love Radishes. They are also very good for you. They are thought to help remove stagnant food and help the lungs dispel mucus. I love their crispness and pungent flavor. This salad also has a tartness that livened up my palate and is no doubt making my liver happy too after all the overindulgence of Thanksgiving. I liked this Radish Salad so much that I will be making it again and again!

Radish and Brocoli Stalk Salad with Sumac

1 bunch Red Radishes, stem ends removed and thinly sliced
1 small Daikon Radish, about 5 - 6 inches long, peeled, sliced and quartered
3 Broccoli Stalks, peeled and cut into thin slices
3 Green Onions - green tops only - sliced thin
1 loosely packed cup of Parsley, chopped fine
Juice of 1 large or 2 small Lemons
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 heaping teaspoon Sumac

Combine the Radishes and Broccoli Stalks with the Parsley and Green Onions in a serving bowl.  In a small bowl, mix the Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Sugar, Salt and Sumac together. Pour over the Radish mixture and stir to coat.  Refrigerate and let marinate for at least one hour before serving.

Five Element Analysis

Radishes are pungent vegetables so they belong to the Metal Element and the Green Onions and Parsley add even more. The Broccoli Stalks contribute the Wood Element along with the Olive Oil and Lemon. The Sumac, even though it is tart, is a red berry so it brings in the Fire Element. The Earth and Water Elements are only present in small amounts with the Sugar and Salt so be sure to serve this with foods from those elements to create a balanced meal.  


No comments:

Post a Comment