Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Lactose Free Pumpkin Pie




















I love to cook for the Holidays as then I know what ingredients are in everything I make.  As tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I am making a completely Gluten Free and Lactose Free Dinner. I decided to share this recipe for Lactose Free Pumpkin Pie with you even though most of you probably won't have time to make it. But, I think it is a good pie anytime. I use Soy Milk in place of Evaporated Milk or Half and Half or Cream. It has the right consistency. Don't substitute Almond Milk or Hemp Milk, as it just won't turn out right - I've tried. I also used a Gluten Free Pie Crust  and in the interest of time, I bought a frozen one from PCC - a NW Health Food Store.  For the Whipped Cream, I am going to use a can of Coconut Cream that I will whip up with a little Sugar. If you've avoided Pumpkin Pie because you are trying to avoid Lactose, this recipe is for you!  And for those who don't know that it's Lactose Free, they really won't be able to tell. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lactose Free Pumpkin Pie

1 15 oz can Pumpkin Puree
1 1/4 cups Soy Milk
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon Cloves
1 9" unbaked Pie Shell (Gluten Free if desired), thawed if frozen

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the Soy Milk with the Eggs and Spices.  Add in Pumpkin and stir until well combined. Pour into the Pie Shell and place in oven on a large cookie sheet. Cook for 15 minutes and then turn the oven down to 350 degrees.  Cook for 45 minutes - one Hour more or until the center looks set and a knife inserted in the middle comes out with only a little pumpkin on it.  Remove and cool on a wire rack until cool.  Serve or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Five Element Analysis

This is a sweet dessert so you know that it is part of the Earth Element and Pumpkin is also an Earth Food.  The spices bring in Metal Element and the Soy Milk adds the Water Element.  The Wood and Fire Elements are missing but this pie usually comes after a meal of Turkey, which is part of the Wood Element and also other sides like Cranberries to create a balanced Thanksgiving Day feast!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment