Friday, October 31, 2014

Quick Clam and Cherry Tomato Sauce

I love clams and I especially love canned chopped clams. I know that may be considered a little strange when fresh clams are so wonderful.  But, I don't always remember to buy fresh clams when I'm in the mood for a clam sauce, so I love being able to make a wonderful Clam Sauce with Cherry Tomatoes. And with canned clams, you get all the chewy bits that are my favorite and none of the soft squishy parts.  This sauce is delicious with pasta (I use DeLallo's gluten free pasta) and it's also amazingly good as a pizza topping.  Now according to classic Italian food rules, seafood is not supposed to go with cheese and since I am lactose intolerant, I don't add it. But since I am here in America, I have to tell you that this sauce is also fabulous with Parmesan Cheese if you are using it for pasta or Mozzarella if you should decide to make it into a pizza sauce.  I've been known to use this sauce with a Nature's Hilights Brown Rice Pizza Crust and Lisanata Almond Mozzarella Cheese and it's really good - just be sure to toast the oiled pizza crust fully in a 425 degree oven before topping it and then baking for an additional 15 minutes. I also do another no-no according to the Italians and that is that I add some cornstarch to thicken it up as I like the creaminess it adds. You don't have to do this step, you can add some pasta water instead if you like.  And, this is also an excellent sauce base if you do want to steam some fresh clams in it (then be sure not to add the cornstarch). This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. The proportions are 1 can of clams to 1 garlic clove, 1/2 cup of cut cherry tomatoes and 1 heaping teaspoon of cornstarch. I've made it as a potluck dish with pasta (baked) and it's been a big hit.  It's just a a delicious, easy and fast sauce - I encourage you to try it! 

Quick Clam and Cherry Tomato Sauce for Pasta or Pizza

2 cans of Chopped Clams in Clam Juice (I used Snow's Bumble Bee brand, 6.5 ounces)
1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
2 garlic cloves minced
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 heaping teaspoons Cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon of Salt and sprinkling of fresh ground Pepper
Cooked Pasta of your choice

Optional: Parmesan Cheese for serving with Pasta or Mozarella Cheese for Pizza

Open the cans of clams and stir in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch into each can.  In a large frying pan, add the Olive Oil and the Garlic. Cook until you can smell the fragrance of the Garlic. Add in the Tomatoes, stirring until the Tomatoes start to soften.  Then add in the Clam and Cornstarch mixture with the Salt and Pepper and cook until thickened. Serve over cooked al dente pasta or put on top of pizza dough, top with cheese and bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

Five Element Analysis

Clams are part of the Water Element and are said to increase Kidney Yin, cleanse the Liver and reduce fevers and other inflammation. Cherry Tomatoes contribute the Fire Element.  The garlic bring in the Metal Element and the Cornstarch adds just a bit of Earth.  The Wood Element is missing, which is why it would be good to serve this with Pasta or Pizza Dough made from Wheat. If using Gluten Free Pasta like I did, it would contribute more of the Earth from the Corn, more Metal from the Rice and then I added a green vegetable to create a Five Element balance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment