Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Kale Pomegranate Salad




















One of the beautiful signs of Autumn are Pomegranates.  Now, I have a special fondness for them because of the Greek myth of Persephone. And, because I always thought that the seeds looked like little jewels.  I love the juicy pop of biting into the seeds and I have stained more than a few garments with their rich red juice.  So here it is fall and Pomegranates are everywhere. There was a special on them at my local PCC so I bought five and I've been thinking of new ways of using them. So I made a Kale Salad with Pomegranate Seeds like I have before, but this time I used Pomegranate Molasses in the dressing as well and I think  it made it taste even better.  I also added some chopped red onions that I marinated in the dressing and some toasted almond for some crunch. I have to say that this may now be my favorite Kale Salad! The sweet and sour flavor complimented the bitterness of the Kale and it was simply delicious. I might add that it was such a beautiful salad too.  Hope you try this one before Pomegranate season ends....

Kale Pomegranate Salad

1 bunch Lacinato (Dinosaur) Kale, washed
1/2 cup chopped Red Onion
1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
1/2 cup Almond Slivers or chop whole almonds into small pieces and toast in a frying pan
Two Tablespoons fresh squeezed Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses (can also use Balsamic Glaze)
1 - 2 teaspoons Honey (to taste)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt

In a small bowl, mix together the Lemon Juice, Pomegranate Molasses, 1 Tablespoon of Honey, the Olive Oil and the salt.  Stir to combine and taste, adding more honey if desired.  Stir in red onion.

Pull the leaves of Kale away from the stem and tear into small pieces. Place the Kale into a salad bowl.  Stir in the Dressing and using your hands, massage the dressing into the Kale. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Then toss in the Pomegranate Seeds and the Almonds to serve.

Five Element Analysis

Kale is a Wood Food so that element is covered and the Olive Oil adds even more. Pomegranates, because they are red are part of the Fire Element and in Chinese Medicine, they are considered very good for the heart and the blood and for fertility. In Western Medicine, they have been found to have lots of Vitamin C and have antioxidant properties.  The Almonds and Honey contribute the Earth Element.  The Red Onion contributes the Metal Element so only the Water Element is missing.  So, serve this salad with some soup or seafood with some Pork and you will have achieved a Five Element balance.




No comments:

Post a Comment