Saturday, November 1, 2014

Arugula Salad with Asian Pears and Prosciutto




















It's Asian Pear season and they are one of my favorite fruits. I love their crunch and juiciness.  I realized after having bought a lot of them, that I don't use them in cooking at all. I usually just eat them raw and so today, I decided to use them in a salad. I threw together some of my other favorite ingredients - Prosciutto and Arugula and I decided to create a very light dressing made with Rice Wine Vinegar, Shallots and Sunflower Oil.  It was an amazing combination. I'll be making this salad again and again!

Arugula Salad with Asian Pears and Prosciutto

5 ounces of Baby Arugula, washed
2 Asian Pears, Cored, Peeled and cut into small chunks
3 ounces of Prosciutto, cut into small pieces
1 small Shallot minced
1/4 cup Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
1/3 cup Sunflower Oil
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Wash and dry the Arugula and spread over a platter.  Sprinkle the Asian Pears and Prosciutto over it.  In a small bowl, mix together the Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar and the Sunflower Oil and add in the Shallots and Salt. Pour over the Salad when ready to serve.

Five Element Analysis

Pears belong to the Metal Element and are very good food for the throat and lungs. The Shallots add even more Metal. Arugula contributes the Fire Element as a bitter green and the Rice Wine Vinegar is a Wood food. The salty Prosciutto brings in the Water Element. Only the Earth Element is missing so serve this with a Main Dish that is Earthy or if this is served for a light lunch, add something sweet for dessert!




No comments:

Post a Comment