Friday, August 23, 2013

Tamari Eggplant




















My it has been a busy time with family. My oldest son has moved to Denmark to start graduate school and my mother has moved to a wonderful new Assisted Living apartment in Palos Verdes and I have been helping everybody get packed and moved!  Needless to say, it didn't leave much time for cooking and I have been going out to eat a lot.  Now that I am finally back home in Seattle, I plan on cooking every day for weeks!  I don't even want to think about going to a restaurant.  So, I went shopping at the 99 Ranch Market yesterday and bought lots of great fresh vegetable and tonight I made one of my favorite eggplant dishes, Tamari Eggplant. It is an incredibly simple preparation that only requires that you buy Chinese Eggplant for the best results, which are long and slender and purple. You can also use the Japanese version that are long and slender and lighter purple. But the large Globe Eggplants just don't turn out as well. These Asian kinds of eggplant don't require any salting - just cut them up, saute them and sprinkle with Tamari - that's it!  The only secret is to use butter for the saute, which blends beautifully with the Tamari to make a delectable Umami flavor.  If you like eggplant, this is a new recipe for you!

Tamari Eggplant

2 - 3 Chinese Eggplant, ends removed and cut into large dice
4 Tablespoons Butter
2 - 3 teaspoons Tamari

Heat a large frying pan and melt the butter.  Put in the Eggplant pieces and saute until lightly browned and soft.  Sprinkle on Tamari and turn off the heat when tossing. Serve immediately.

Five Element Analysis

This is a Water dish all the way - the eggplant is a Water food and so is the Tamari and the butter.  Your kidneys, adrenals and reproductive organs will thank you for this food! Only the Umami flavor that is created adds a hint of the Metal Element.  So, add this dish to any meal that is missing the Water Element to make a balanced meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment