Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nectarine and Bluebery Crisp
















Summer fruits are really ripe now and I am happy! This is the time of year that I start making cobblers (see previous post - 8/28/10), crisps and clafouti. I really love cooked fruit desserts if I can keep the fruit around long enough to cook with it. Since I go to the farmer's market every week and can't help stopping at farm stands, I always end up with one of these and some of those different fruits that have gotten a little soft so putting them together in a dessert is a good idea! Today I had 2 large nectarines and a nearly full container of blueberries so I made Nectarine and Blueberry Crisp. It's so easy and so good and I loved the combination of these two fruits. I served it with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream for everyone else, but I like it best plain - hot out of the oven. The buttery, crispy, cinnamony crumbs top the cooked fruit wonderfully. I will even plan to eat some cold for breakfast tomorrow morning - if there is any left!

Nectarine and Blueberry Crisp

2 large or 4 small nectarines, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 pint blueberries washed
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour

For topping:

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons butter cut in small pieces

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together nectarine pieces, blueberries, sugar and flour. Pour into a buttered 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan.

In a different bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter with your fingers (or a pastry blender) until the consistency of wet sand. Sprinkle all over on top of the fruit. Pat down lightly.

Put into the oven and cook for 30 -40 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling.

Cool slightly and serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Five Element Analysis

Nectarines are a summer fruit so they belong to the Earth Element and the brown and white sugars add even more - as expected from a dessert. However, the blueberries are a Water fruit so that element is covered and the wheat flour brings in the Wood Element. The cinnamon adds just a touch of the Metal Element. This element needs enhancing and the whipped cream contributes more Metal. Only the Fire Element is missing so serve this with some tea or coffee and you have a balanced dessert. I certainly wouldn't call it a balanced meal, but I would call it delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment