Saturday, May 23, 2020

Butter Braised Kohlrabi













I got another surprise ingredient in my order the other day and it was great big purple Kohlrabi. I'm used to the small green bulbs of Kohlrabi that taste very much like Broccoli stalks. But these big purple ones tasted much more like Turnips to me. So, I braised it in Butter as a side dish and it was delicious! It was so big that it was enough for 2 people as we had another side too. 

The Kohlrabi was pretty easy to peel with a vegetable peeler, except for the ends and I had to pull out the paring knife. I cut the Kohlrabi into little chunks and sautéed them in Butter and then finished it with just a bit of Vegetable Broth, although you could use Chicken Broth instead. Next time I might add in some Garlic. The Kohlrabi was delicious! 

Butter Braised Kohlrabi

1 large or 2 smaller Kohlrabi
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/3 cup Vegetable or Chicken Broth
a pinch of fresh ground Pepper
Optional:  1 large Garlic Clove minced

Cut the stem ends off of the Kohlrabi and then peel with a vegetable peeler and/or a paring knife. Cut the Kohlrabi into small chunks.

Heat the Butter in a frying pan over medium high heat and add in the Kohlrabi pieces. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until they are just beginning to turn a very pale golden color. Add in the Broth and cook until the Broth disappears. Sprinkle with Pepper to serve.

Five Element Analysis

I usually classify Kohlrabi as a Wood Vegetable, but this one being Purple also brings in just a bit of the Water Element. The Vegetable Broth (I used Swanson's) brings in more of the Wood from the Celery and some Earth from the Carrots and Cabbage, and a bit of Fire from the Tomatoes/ Fire is also added from the Pepper in the recipe. The Metal Element is represented by the Onions in the Broth and the Garlic, if you use it. This is still mostly a Wood side dish but it has a bit more of other elements than I expected.

1 comment: