Friday, February 28, 2020

Instant Pot Shredded Beef













I'm a bit of a slow adopter of new technological gadgets and I probably wouldn't have gone out to get an Instant Pot myself, as I have an old Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker. But the seal isn't working well and I can't seem to find a replacement. So, my son gave me an Instant Pot that I finally started using and I was astounded at how quickly it cooks food!  In half an hour, I made delicious shredded Beef for Tacos, Tostadas and Burritos!  

I used a 2 1/2 pound Chuck Roast and I seasoned it with a combination of spices - Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cumin, Salt and Sugar. I mixed in a small can of Tomato Sauce and some Water and let it cook. I was mimicking the flavors of my childhood standby Taco Seasoning Mix. The Beef came out perfectly. I served it on fried Corn Tortillas, spread with some (Instant Pot assisted) refried Beans, sprinkled on some shredded Lettuce and drizzled it all with Salsa. I was very happy and it was so good!

Instant Pot Shredded Beef

2 - 2 1/2 pound piece of Beef Chuck Roast, cut lengthwise in half
1 8 oz can of Tomato Paste
1 cup Water
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 te2 teaspoon Sugar

Add the Tomato Sauce and Water to the Instant Pot.  and then add in the seasonings. Stir to blend. Then add in the Beef. Seal the lid and cook for 30 minutes on High Pressure. Let cool naturally and then take the Beef out and shred with two forks.  Use as a topping for Tostadas or as a filling for Tacos, Burritos or Quesadillas.

Five Element Analysis

Beef is an Earth Food, but the Tomato Sauce and Chili Powder bring in some Fire. The Garlic and Onion Powder, as well as the Cumin contribute the Metal Element. Served with Corn Tortillas, you add more Earth, but when served with Flour Tortillas, you add the Wood Element. Lettuce brings in more Fire as does Salsa, which also has Lime for more Wood  and Onions and Cilantro adding in more Metal. And finally, Refried Beans contribute the Water Element.  So making Tostadas with this Shredded Beef gives you a pretty balanced little snack!  

No comments:

Post a Comment