Friday, October 19, 2018

Tomato Sauce with Chicken and Arugula


You know those days when you don't know what to cook and you need to cook something fast? That's when I check out what's hanging out in my refrigerator and my cupboards and then I throw something together. I'm almost always surprised when it turns out really well and this Sauce is a prime example. I had a bunch of Roma Tomatoes, a single Chicken Breast and some wilting Arugula, so I knew I could make a Pasta Sauce. And, I found Cauliflower Gnocchi (which is technically a dumpling) from Trader Joe's in the freezer that I had forgotten that I bought.  This Sauce turned out so wonderfully that I decided to share it here and so I remember how I made it!  The one thing that I did that was unusual was to puree the cooked Tomatoes with the Shallot and then I pushed it through a stainer so that it was a completely smooth sauce before I added the Chicken in. You can skip that step if you want or you can just peel the Tomatoes before chopping them up. If I hadn't found the Gnocchi, I would probably have served it with Fusilli. I discovered that I love cooked Arugula, maybe even more than in a salad so it may become a staple in my Pasta Sauces!


Tomato Sauce with Chicken and Arugula

1 boneless, skinless Chicken Breast half
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
1 Shallot, minced
6 Roma Tomatoes, stem removed and chopped coarsely
1/2 cup dry White Wine
3 cups loosely packed Baby Arugula
1/2 teaspoon Sugar

Cut up the Chicken Breast into thin slices about 1 inch long.  Season with Salt.

Then heat 1 Tablespoon of the Olive Oil in a sauté pan and add the Shallots. Cook until softened. Then add in the Roma Tomatoes and cook until the Tomatoes start to get soft. Add in the wine and continue to cook until a sauce is formed. 

Puree the Sauce in a Food Processor or Blender and strain to make smooth, if desired.

Add the additional 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil to the sauté pan until hot and add in the Chicken. Cook until it is no longer pink. Then add the Sauce back in and bring to a boil.  add in the Arugula and take off the heat, stirring until the Arugula wilts. Serve with the Pasta of your choice or Gnocchi.

Five Element Analysis

Tomatoes are part of the Fire Element and so is the Wine. Chicken belongs to the Wood Element and the Olive Oil and Arugula add even more. The Metal Element is represented by the Shallot. I served it with Cauliflower Gnocchi, made of Cauliflower and PotatoThe Cauliflower brings in more Metal and the Potato adds the Earth. This then ends up being a family balanced meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment