Sunday, October 7, 2018

Butternut Squash Muffins


I'm trying to incorporate more orange foods into my diet because they are so good for you. Orange foods belong to the Earth Element in Chinese Medicine and they support the Spleen, Stomach and Pancreas. They are considered very grounding and good for regulating blood sugar. I have to admit that Orange foods aren't my favorite foods in the ways that they are usually cooked. I'm quite fond of Sweet Potato Fries but mostly I like my orange foods to be desserts or sweet breads. I made some Roasted Butternut Squash the other night for a Salad and had enough left over to do something else with it. Luckily, I didn't season the Squash much when I roasted it - just a little Vegetable Oil and Salt. So, I decided to make Butternut Squash Muffins and lowered the Salt in the recipe to compensate. I also added Oats and used Pumpkin Pie Seasoning because it's that time of year and it works perfectly with Butternut Squash. The Muffins were wonderful - really delicious and not too sweet! They are just perfect for a quick breakfast on the go.

Butternut Squash Muffins

1 cup Gluten Free Flour Mix (I used Cup 4 Cup)
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 cup cooked Butternut Squash (steamed or roasted)
1/3 cup Almond Milk
1/4 cup melted Butter
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 large Egg
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with Oil (I used a Silicone Muffin Tin)

In a mixing bowl, combine the Gluten Free Flour Mix, Rolled Oats, Baking Powder, Salt and Pumpkin Pie Spice. Then add in the Butternut Squash, Almond Milk Oil, Brown Sugar, Egg and Vanilla Extract. Stir until blended.  

Fill Muffin cups 3/4 full - it should make 12 muffins. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until tops are brown and spring back lightly when touched or a toothpick comes out clean when poked. 

Five Element Analysis

Butternut Squash is part of the Earth Element and the Oats, Almond Milk and Brown Sugar add even more. The Egg contributes the Water Element. The Butter, Pumpkin Pie Spice and Vanilla Extract along with the Gluten Free Flour (that is mostly Rice Flour) bring in the Metal Element. The Fire Element is not present so be sure to serve these muffins with some Tea or Coffee and later have some of the Wood Element in another meal for balance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment