Friday, June 29, 2018

Scallion Oil Orzo


I marinated some Chicken Thighs in a homemade Teriyaki Sauce for two days and was getting ready to cook them when I decided I wanted something different as a side. Normally I make Rice, but tonight I was in the mood for something different. So, I made Orzo and dressed it in a classic Chinese Sauce - Scallion Oil. This condiment is usually made by browning Scallions (or Green Onions) in Oil and saving the Oil to use for any number of dishes. But for the Orzo, I cooked a lot of Scallions in a little bit of Oil until they just started to brown and get crispy and added some Sesame Oil for extra flavor. I stirred it into the cooked Orzo and it was so delicious! It's a simple side but full of flavor, yet it didn't compete with the Teriyaki Chicken. This is now going to be a regular side for me!

Scallion Oil Orzo

2 cups Orzo (I used DeLallo Gluten Free)
Salted Boiling Water
1 cup of Scallion (Green Onion) pieces (use the green part only)
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (I used Safflower)
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Cook Orzo in Salted Boiling Water until al dente and drain.

Meanwhile, heat the Vegetable Oil in a small frying pan. Add the Scallions and cook over medium heat until the edges of are beginning to brown. Add in the Salt and Sesame OIl.  

When the Orzo is done, stir in the Scallions and the Oil, stir to combine.

Five Element Analysis

The Gluten Free Pasta is made of Corn, which is part of the Earth Element and Rice Flour, which belongs to the Metal Element. and the Scallions add even more. Finally, the Sesame Oil adds in a bit of the Water Element. So serve with some Water, Wood and Fire foods to create a balanced meal. I served it with Teriyaki Chicken, which is a Wood meat marinated in Tamari, which brings in more of the Water Element. I also cooked some Gailan, more of the Wood Element and served Strawberries, from the Fire Element for dessert.   

No comments:

Post a Comment