Thursday, July 20, 2017

Gluten Free Banana Strawberry Cake


I used to make this wonderful Strawberry Bread for my son when he was little, but it was very sugary so I didn't make it very often. He reminded me of it the other day and I decided to make a Gluten Free version that was sweetened mostly with fresh fruit. I had two Bananas that were turning brown and I only eat them out of hand when they are still a bit green. That's usually when I make Banana Bread. I also had a handful of Strawberries in the fridge that needed to be used up and that was the inspiration for this cake. I borrowed a recipe from The Loopy Whisk blog, but changed it by adding more Banana and leaving out the Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest and putting in Strawberries instead of Blueberries. I also sprinkled the top with a little Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw) to give it a shiny and slightly Caramelized surface. My son was so happy as it tasted a lot like both of his childhood favorites - Banana Bread and Strawberry Bread put together. I made it all in one bowl and it turned out perfectly.  I call it a cake because I baked it in a cake pan. I'm just hoping that there is a piece left for tomorrow morning as I think it would be perfect for breakfast!

Gluten Free Banana Strawbery Cake (based on The Loopy Whisk)

2 medium ripe Bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted Butter
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Sugar
1 cup Gluten Free Flour (I used King Arthur)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 cup of cut up Strawberries
For topping:  2 teaspoons Turbinado Sugar (can also use regular Sugar)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a square cake pan. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the Bananas, Butter, Eggs, Vanilla and Sugar. Add in the Gluten Free Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt. Stir to combine thoroughly and pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the Strawberry pieces and press them down lightly into the batter. Sprinkle with the Turbinado Sugar and place in the oven. Cook for about 30 - 35 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown and springs back lightly when touched with your finger. Cool before serving. The flavor actually gets better after it sits a bit.


Five Element Analysis

This is a sweet dessert so it is naturally an Earth Element food and the Bananas add even more Earth. The Butter, Vanilla Extract and the Gluten Free Flour made primarily from Rice brings in the Metal Element. The Strawberries contribute the Fire Element. So this is a good dessert to serve with a dinner that is primarily composed of Water and Wood foods, like Fish and Vegetables. Remember a light meal will leave more room for this lovely Cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment