Monday, July 3, 2017

Corn with Asian Flavors















I bought an abundance of fresh Corn at the Farmer's Market and cooked as quickly as I could as my Pennsylvania Dutch grandfather taught me to do. He was so obsessed with fresh Corn that he wouldn't even pick it unless the pot of water was on the stove ready to cook it! I remember that the Corn was so delicious cooked this way, as it just bursts with fresh Corn flavor and you barely needed any butter. I don't grow my own Corn, so the Farmer's Market corn is the next best thing and they always assure me that it was picked only the day before and sometimes that morning. I sometimes think I can tell the difference  In any case. I bought more corn than we could eat so I had to think of some new way to use it. I cut the kernels off the cob and then sautéed some Green Onion tops in Salted Butter and then added the Corn and some Tamari - Asian style.It was so simple and so delicious! The Tamari (you can also use Soy Sauce) adds a unique savory taste that I think balanced out the sweetness of the Corn. The flavor was so intriguing that the more I ate, the more I loved it! I may start making a Tamari, Green Onion and Butter Sauce to spread on fresh cooked Corn on the Cob, I loved the flavors so much. So, here's a new way to dress your fresh corn. This is a great side dish with BBQ, especially if you are grilling meats with Asian flavors like Ribs. I hope you enjoy Corn this way too!

Corn with Asian Flavors

4 ears of corn, shucked and cooked (boiled for no more than 5 minutes)
3 Tablespoons Salted Butter
4 Green Onions, green tops only, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon Tamari (or Soy Sauce)

Cut the cooked Corn kernels off the cob carefully using a serrated knife.  

In a large frying pan, heat and melt the Butter. Add in the Green Onions and the Corn and cook until hot. Then sprinkle on the Tamari and stir to blend.  Serve hot.

Five Element Analysis

Corn is a very Earthy food as it is sweet and yellow. The Butter and Green Onions bring in some of the Metal Element and the Tamari adds just a hint of the Water Element. If you serve this with Pork Spareribs as I did, it contributes more of the Water Element. I also made a Spicy Sichuan Cucumber Salad that brought in Vinegar for the Wood Element and lots of Chili Oil for the Fire Element and made some Rice for the Metal Element.

No comments:

Post a Comment