Thursday, March 9, 2017

Cabbage Salad with Cuban Mojo Vinaigrette


















I made a Cuban style dinner last night because I was inspired to buy some Plantains at my local market. So, I also threw a Pork Roast into my basket. I marinated the Pork in a Mojo Marinade (previous post). I was happily squeezing lots of Lemons, Limes and Oranges and I actually made more than I needed. So, I decided to also use the extra as a base of a Cuban Mojo Vinaigrette. Sometimes, using the same flavors again in a different dish is a wonderful thing, especially when the textures are so different.  

I decided to use Red Cabbage as I wanted some color on the plate as Pork and Plantains and Rice are a little too much the same color. I also served Black Beans. The Salad turned out to be so good and it was also so beautiful! I made it in advance and let it marinate for 2 hours, but it was still crunchy and delicious. I loved it so much I might make it again tonight!

Cabbage Salad with Cuban Mojo Vinaigrette

½ head of a large Red Cabbage, cut into small shreds
¼ head of a large Green Cabbage, cut into small shreds
1 large Carrot, peeled and shredded
¼ cup minced Red Onion
¼ cup minced Cilantro
¼ cup fresh Lemon, Lime and Orange Juice
¼ cup Olive Oil
1 clove Garlic, minced finely
¼ teaspoon Jalapeno, finely minced
2 teaspoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
1 heaping teaspoon dried Oregano

Place the shredded Red and Green Cabbage in a bowl along with the Carrot, Cilantro and Red Onion. In another bowl, mix together the Citrus Juices with the Olive Oil, Garlic, Jalapeno, Sugar, Salt and Oregano. Whisk to combine and pour over the salad.  Toss well and cover. Place in the refrigerator to let the flavors blend for at least 30 minutes up to several hours.

Five Element Analysis


Cabbage belongs to the Earth Element and the Carrot adds even more Earth, so this is an Earthy salad!  The Lemon, Lime and Orange Juices and the Olive Oil make sure that the Wood Element is also present. The Red Onion, Garlic and Oregano contribute the Metal Element.  The Jalapeno brings in only a hint of the Fire Element and the Water Element is missing. That’s why this is such a good salad to serve with Pork and also Black Beans, which belong to the Water Element. And I served the Pork with some Hot Sauce, which brought in Fire to make a balanced Five Element meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment