Thursday, November 24, 2016

Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting




















Here's the other different thing I made for our Thanksgiving meal. My daughter in law requested a Pumpkin Cake and she wanted a Cream Cheese Frosting so I got a recipe from Betty Crocker actually as it is based on their Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix. I did however, have to change things up a bit as that's what happens when I get a recipe from someone else. However with baking, I tend to follow the main part of the recipe because that's chemistry. Anyway, the original recipe was for Pumpkin Spice Bars, which is more of a cookie. So, I cooked it in a smaller pan and cooked it for less time. I also used Pumpkin Spice Mix, as I had some from a previous recipe that I wanted to use up since I won't use it again until next year and I left out the raisons as I don't really like them. I used my own Cream Cheese Frosting recipe (good on Carrot Cake and the previously posted Butternut Squash Almond Cake) because the recipe from Betty Crocker wanted you to use their packaged frosting and I like homemade much better! I also made Candied Cinnamon Pumpkin Seeds to sprinkle on top instead of using Walnuts. It was fabulous - so delicious! It was moist and tasted like a Thanksgiving cake should taste - full of Pumpkin Pie flavors. The frosting was rich and creamy and tangy and the Candied Pumpkin Seeds just took it over the top. Of course I tasted it before I served it so I could post this for you and I will arrange slices on individual plates when I serve it. I actually think this cake would be good anytime and not just for Thanksgiving. I hope you had a wonderful one!

Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

1 box of Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
1 can (15 oz) Pumpkin
1/2 cup Butter (1 stick) softened
1/4 cup Almond Milk (can also use Soy Milk or regular Milk)
2 heaping teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
3 Eggs

Heat the oven to 350 degrees  Lightly grease a 9 x 11 inch pan. In a large bowl, mix the Cake Mix, Pumpkin, Butter, Milk, Pumpkin Pie Spice and Eggs for a bout 2 minutes.  Spread the mixture in the pan.  Bake for about 20 minutes or unit the top is lightly browed and very slightly springy to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 hours.

Sugared Pumpkin Seeds

1 cup Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
2 Tablespoons Butter 
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt

Melt the Butter in a small frying pan and add the Brown Sugar. Stir to mix thoroughly and add in the Pumpkin Seeds and Salt. Cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour the Pumpkin Seeds onto a plate to cool.

Frosting

8 ounces of Cream Cheese
1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

When ready to frost, mix the Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar and Vanilla Extract thoroughly.  Spread on the cake with a spatula in a thin layer.  Sprinkle the Sugared Pumpkin Seeds on top.

Five Element Analysis

As a dessert, you know that this is going to fall under the Earth Element and because it is also made with Pumpkin, it's even Earthier!  The Metal Element is represented by the Rice Flour in the Cake Mix (although it adds more Earth too as it also has Potato Starch) and the Spices. The Pumpkin Seeds contribute the Water Element. Only the Fire Element is missing and that is easily remedied by serving this cake with some Tea or Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment