Monday, October 17, 2016

Indian Tomato Soup


I'm still trying to recover from traveling and teaching and one look at the dark circles under my eyes this morning made me very aware of how much more I need to nourish my Kidneys! Recovering takes longer these days....That means I need a more rest, more sleep and more soup!  Since I'm staying at a friend's house, I'm using ingredients from the cupboard and refrigerator instead of my usual major grocery shopping and planning of meals. What I was craving today was Tomato Soup. I grew up with Campbell's Tomato Soup and loved it, but now my tastes run to slightly more exotic flavors. And so I made Tomato Soup with warming Indian spices. I didn't have a stick blender and still couldn't find the big blender so I left the vegetables in chunks and have to admit that it was wonderful to have the texture in this delicious soup. It features canned Italian tomatoes, which are often better than the fresh hothouse kind and the usual Mirepoix of Carrots, Celery and Onion.The warming seasonings included Ginger, Cumin and Cayenne. I thought briefly of adding a touch of Cream to the soup and I think it would be wonderful that way, especially if the soup was pureed, but instead I just used extra butter as it adds a richness and creaminess that makes the Tomato flavor pop. This is a grown-up version of Tomato Soup and is going to be a favorite in my recipe box!

Indian Tomato Soup

1 14 oz can of Whole Tomatoes 
4 Tablespoons Butter or Ghee, divided
2 Carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 Celery Stalks, trimmed and cut into small pieces
1 small Onion, minced
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/2 inch slice of Ginger, peeled and grated
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground Cumin
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth

Melt Butter in a soup pot and add in the Carrots, Celery, Onion, Garlic and Ginger. Cook until the Onions are soft and just beginning to brown. Then add in the Cumin and Cayenne Pepper. Pour in the Chicken or Vegetable Broth and add the Whole Tomatoes. Mash up the Tomatoes with a Spatula. Let cook for 20 minutes. Then add the rest of the Butter and stir to blend in. Puree if desired.  Serve with a sprinkling of toasted Cumin Seeds and Cilantro Leaves.

Optional: add in 1/4 cup of Heavy Cream right before serving

Five Element Analysis

As a soup, this is naturally part of the Water Element. However, this soup also has a lot of Fire because of the Tomatoes and the Cayenne Pepper adds a bit more. The Wood Element is represented by the Chicken or Vegetable Broth and the Celery. The Earth Element is brought in by the Carrots and the Metal Element is found in the Butter, Onion, Garlic, Ginger and Cumin. This then is a delicious and balanced Five Element bowl of soup! 


No comments:

Post a Comment