Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sauerkraut with Fresh Cabbage and Tomato




















I found a new butcher the other day who makes wonderful sausages and when I eat sausages, I need Sauerkraut to go with it! Sausages bring my German side out. I was out of apples, which is what I usually use as the sweetener, so instead I used fresh cabbage along with onion and some tomato sauce and it was delicious! There are more and more studies showing why Sauerkraut is good for you and luckily it tastes good too. I used a jar of raw Sauerkraut from Trader Joe's and I used Chicken Broth instead of wine or beer, as I'm out of those as well. This is a simple recipe the cooks up very fast. I think it is even better if you make it one day ahead as the flavor gets richer. It is wonderful with Sausages and is a beautiful color - I like food to be attractive. I liked this version so much that it may be my go-to way of making Sauerkraut from now on!


Sauerkraut with Fresh Cabbage and Tomato

2 cups fresh Sauerkraut, drained
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 head of Cabbage, stem removed, cut in half again and sliced into thin slices
1/4 cup Tomato Sauce
3/4 cup (or more if needed) Chicken Broth
Optional:  1/2 teaspoon Caraway Seeds

In a large, deep sauté pan, put in oil and heat. Put in onions and cook until softened.  Add in cabbage and cook until cabbage is soft.  Add Sauerkraut, Tomato Sauce, Caraway Seed (if using) and Chicken Broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 - 30 minutes. Check after 10 and 15 minutes to see if more chicken broth is needed. If necessary add by small amounts to keep the simmer going. 

Five Element Analysis

Sauerkraut as a sour fermented food belongs to the Wood Element and the Chicken Broth adds even more. The Tomato Sauce contributes the Fire Element and the Cabbage brings in the Earth Element.  The Onion adds the Metal Element. Only the Water Element is missing, but if you serve pork sausages of any kind, you have balanced the Five Elements in this meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment