Monday, March 3, 2014

Roasted Parsnip Chips
















I am not eating Potato Chips now, which are one of my favorite snacks as I simply need to stop eating so much deep fried food. So, I am making vegetable chips in the oven instead as they are much healthier.  Parsnip Chips are some of my favorite vegetables to roast but I never made them into chips before. I love the slight carrot like flavor of Parsnips so this time I sliced them thin.  Then I baked them until tender and then crisped them under the broiler.  They were so good that they were all gone within minutes and I wish I had bought a lot more parsnips!   They turned out to have a lovely chewy/crispy texture. And, they are so simple that there is no reason to make them often.  So, I am going to go buy some more parsnips and make them again soon. Hope you try them too!

Roasted Parsnip Chips

2 pounds Parsnips, trimmed, peeled and cut into thin slices
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a shallow baking pan with parchment.  Place the Parsnips in the pan and drizzle with the Olive Oil.  Sprinkle with salt and toss with your hands.  Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.  Turn over chips with a spatula and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Then turn the heat up to broil and broil 3 - 5 minutes, turn again and broil for an additional 3 - 5 minutes.  Serve immediately.

Five Element Analysis

Parsnips are root vegetables so they definitely belong to the Earth Element, but because they are white with just a bit of astringency, they have some of the Metal Element too. The Olive Oil brings in the Wood Element and the salt contributes some of the Water Element. But since this is a snack, you wouldn't expect it to be a balanced food, so add it to your diet when you need a little extra of the Earth and Metal Elements and enjoy a healthy snack food!



No comments:

Post a Comment