Sunday, March 2, 2014

Beef and Root Vegetable Stew



It's really cold here in Denmark and I am seriously jetlagged once again as I get ready to start teaching later this week. At times like this I need a big warm bowl of something and I wanted more than soup, so that means stew. And, I desperately need the grounding from beef and I like that it builds blood too, which gives me more energy. Normally I make stew with beef and potatoes, but I didn't have any because I thought I bought them. On the previous day, I actually bought a bag of assorted root vegetables that I decided to use instead. Now, I've never added Parsnips, Rutabagas and Celery Root to a stew before, but it turned out so fantastic that I had to share it with you. Each kind of root vegetable had a completely different texture and I found that I didn't miss the potatoes at all. And, I got the value of even more grounding from this wonderful assortment of root vegetables. In fact, even if I add potatoes next time, I am also going to add these other kinds of root vegetables because they are just so delicious! The only thing missing was something green so I did make a salad to go along with it. I hope you try this recipe next time you want to make a stew.

Beef and Root Vegetable Stew

2 pounds Beef Stew Meat (Chuck Roast) cut into about 2 inch chunks, patted dry
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 onions, chopped
2 large Parsnips - peeled, trimmed and cut into chunks
2 large Carrots - peeled, trimmed and cut into chunks
1 small Celery Root - peeled and cut into chunks
1 large Rutabaga - peeled and cut into chunks
2 cups Red Wine
4 - 5 cups Water
1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon- Beef Flavor or Beef Bouillon Cube
1 teaspoon Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
Fresh Ground Pepper

Optional:  1 Tablespoon Cornstarch mixed with enough water to make a slurry

In a large pot, heal oil and add in the onions.  Cook until lightly browned.  Add in the beef cubes and leave until they develop a sear on one side. Then turn over and sear other side.  Then add in the wine.  Cook on high heat for a minute and then add in the water and Bouillon. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 2 1/2 hours (test at 2 hours). If the meat is tender, add in vegetables. Otherwise, cook for an additional minutes until the beef is tender. Add in the other vegetables and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Thicken with cornstarch and add fresh ground pepper.  Serve with Crusty Bread and a green salad or other green vegetables.

Five Element Analysis

Stews are inherently Earthy because of their long and slow cooking times and this stew is especially Earthy because it is made with Beef and Root Vegetables, all Earthy foods. However, there is a bit of fire due to the Red Wine and some Metal from the Herbs.  When served with bread and salad, you bring in the Wood Element and the Fire Element. All that is missing is the Water Element, which can be easily remedied by serving some dark berries for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment