Sunday, November 22, 2020

Turnip Puree


 





Turnips are not considered a very exciting vegetable, but I want to champion them a little. I wrote a previous blog post about Turnip Fries that I know a lot of people have liked and today I want to give Turnips just a bit more respect by showing you how great they are as a base for the rest of the plate. Pictured is Stephen's version of Asparagus and Steak with Chimichurri Sauce plated over Pureed Turnips. I made the same Turnips, but I topped it with Salmon and Peas. And unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo. 

Like Mashed Potatoes, cooked Turnips have a very mild flavor that doesn't interfere with the other flavors of the dish. They are also very nutritious. I cooked them in Chicken Broth, although Vegetable Broth is good too and then mashed them with a Potato Masher and of course added a couple of Tablespoons of Butter. So, I should probably call my version Mashed Turnips. Stephen made his silkier by putting them in the Cuisinart. And these Turnips are so easy to make. You can add Broth back in if you need to make the Puree smoother and thinner, but I didn't need any. There will be extra broth left over, which is great for soup. Either way you make them, I think you will be surprised how good Pureed Turnips taste!

Turnip Puree

3 large Turnips, peeled and cut into chunks

4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth

3 - 4 Tablespoons Salted Butter

Pour the Broth into a medium pan. Add in the Turnips and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the Turnips from the pot, reserving the Broth.

Ad Butter to the Turnips and mash a fork or potato masher or put into the food processor. Add in a little broth if necessary. Plate as the base layer for your other foods or eat as is!

Five Element Analysis

Turnips are a root vegetable, which automatically makes them a part of the Earth Element. But they are also a bit pungent and white and that makes them a part of the Metal Element too. And the Butter adds even more Metal. The Broth brings in the Wood Element.  Only the Water and Fire Elements are missing, so be sure to have foods from those elements in your meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment