Monday, August 31, 2020

Tofu and Vegetable Scramble


 







I had some veggies and leftovers languishing in my fridge and needed to use them up. So, I made a Tofu Scramble and added them in. My good friend Deirdre often makes Tofu Scrambles for us when we travel to our classes and stay in an Airbnb.  So, I took one of her tricks, which is to use Turmeric to color the Tofu so that it looks so much more appetizing - it's also good for lowering inflammation. Besides the Tofu, I used a Leek, although you could easily use Onions or Shallots or Green Onions, and a half of a Red Pepper, along with some leftover Corn and a big handful of chopped Kale that was part of a vegetable delivery gift. I sautéed them all together and added a bit of Vegan Chicken Broth powder and some Tamari. It was delicious!  Not only did I clean out my fridge a bit (and throw in everything I could except the Kitchen Sink - as the saying goes), I made a wonderful dish just perfect for a healthy lunch, although it would be good for breakfast too!

Tofu and Vegetable Scramble 

1 package (14 ounces) Firm Tofu, drained and crumbled

1 Leek, green part cut off, cut in half, rinsed and then cut into small pieces (or 1/2 cup of chopped Onion or Shallots)

1/2 large Red Pepper, trimmed and cut into a small dice

1/2 cup of cooked (or frozen) Corn

2 cups chopped Kale or other Greens 

2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil (I used Sunflower)

1/2 Tablespoon of dried Turmeric

1/2 Tablespoon of Powdered (Vegan) Chicken Broth (I used Orrington Farms)

1 Tablespoon of Tamari or Soy Sauce

Fresh ground Black Pepper

In a wok or a large frying pan, heat the Oil and add in the Leek and Red Pepper. Cook until it just softens and add in the Tofu, Corn and Kale. Cook until the mixture is bubbling a lot, stirring often and the greens are wilted. Then add in the Seasonings and stir to combine. Taste and adjust, as necessary. Sprinkle with Pepper and serve.

Five Element Analysis

Tofu is part of the Metal Element and the Leeks add even more as do the spices in the Vegan Chicken Broth. Kale, as a dark green Vegetable contributes both the Water and Wood Elements and the Tamari brings in a little more Water. The Red Pepper and Black Pepper makes sure that the Fire Element is present and the Turmeric and the Corn add in the Earth Element. This, then, is a very balanced dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment