Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Spaghetti with Poached Scallops in Fresh Tomato Sauce


Now that I've found a Gluten Free Pasta brand that I really love, La Veneziane, I've been making a lot more Pasta. It's made from Corn in Italy and the taste and texture is so much like regular pasta that everyone I serve it to has no idea that it's Gluten Free!  

So, was in the mood for Linguine with Clam Sauce, but I didn't have Linguine, but I did have Gluten Free Spaghetti and I didn't have Clams either, but I did have frozen Scallops from Trader Joe's.  And, best of all, I had fresh, ripe Tomatoes from my own backyard and the Farmer's Market. I decided to puree the Tomatoes along with a Shallot. I then sautéed some Zucchini in Olive Oil, added in the Tomato Puree and White Wine and I poached the defrosted Scallops (cut in half both ways) in the simmering sauce. If you don't have Scallops, I think that sliced white Fish or Chicken would also work well. Anyway, It was wonderful and I definitely plan on making this often.   

Spaghetti with Poached Scallops in Fresh Tomato Sauce

12 ounces Spaghetti Noodles 
12 Scallops, sliced vertically and then horizontally (to make thin half moons)
1 pound of fresh Tomatoes
1 Shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large or 2 small Zucchini, ends trimmed, cut in half and then sliced into 1/4" thick slices
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 cup White Wine
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Sugar

Heat salted Water in a large pot. When boiling, drop in the Tomatoes for 1 minute. Remove  with a slotted spoon to the cutting board.  Then add in the Spaghetti. Cook according to the package directions.

Peel the Tomatoes and add to the bowl of a Food Processor or Blender and add in the Shallot. Puree until smooth.

In a Saute Pan with a high side, heat the Olive Oil and add in the Zucchini. Cook until the Zucchini is just starting to brown. Add in the Wine, Salt, Sugar and the Tomato Puree. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Add in the Scallops and poached them until they turn opaque (this happens quickly. Add the Spaghetti and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Five Element Analysis

Scallops belong to the Water Element and the Tomatoes and Wine contribute the Fire Element.  The Zucchini and Corn Pasta bring in the Earth Element and the Fire Element is seen in the Shallot. Only the Wood Element is missing so be sure to serve some leafy green vegetables along with this pasta dish for a balanced meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment