Sunday, May 20, 2018

Aunt Elma's Chicken Tarragon with GF Dumplings


Ny Aunt Elma came to visit when I was a teenager and she made this stew one night and I instantly fell in love with the flavor of Tarragon. I thought that was kind of funny since it tastes a bit like Licorice, which I didn't really like. But somehow, Tarragon intrigued me. My father absolutely adored this stew and he asked me to make it many time over the years. Luckily, I had helped her make it and I still remember being so surprised to see that it was really easy to make and required very few ingredients. At that time, she served it with Mashed Potatoes and since then I have been known to serve it with Rice or even Noodles, but my absolute favorite way to serve it is with Dumplings. Since going Gluten Free, I thought Dumplings were never going to be the same, but I was astonished to find Cup4Cup Flour, as it mimics the texture of Wheat Flour really well. These turn out puff and tender and delicious. So, nowadays, I'm sure you could use other Gluten Free Flour blends as well. I make Aunt Elma's Chicken Tarragon with Dumplings on a regular basis. It's comfort food at it's best!

Aunt Elma's Chicken Tarragon

6 boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large Onion, chopped
3 Tablespoons Oil
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
2 teaspoons dried Tarragon
3 cups Chicken Broth
1/3 cup frozen Peas
pinch of Black Pepper

Heat butter in a heavy saucepan. Add in the Onions and cook until the Onions soften.  Then add in the Chicken pieces and sprinkle with Seasoned Salt and Tarragon. Cook until one side of the Chicken is opaque and turn over and cook the other side. Pour in the Chicken Broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and turn heat to medium. Add in the frozen Peas and Pepper and bring back to a boil. Then add in the Dumplings.

For the GF Dumplings

1 cup Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour Gluten Free
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Butter, cut into small pieces
1 large Egg, beaten
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 teaspoon Vinegar

In a mixing bowl, stir together the Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt. Add in the Butter and mix together with your fingers until the Butter forms little nodules and is incorporated into the flour. Add in the Egg, Milk and Vinegar, stir to combine.
Drop by the teaspoonful into the broth. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. 

Five Element Analysis

Chicken belongs to the Wood Element. The Peas bring in even more.The Onions contribute the Earth Element since they cook a long time as does the Tapioca Starch in the Flour Mix. The Flour Mix mostly contains Rice Flour, which is part of the Metal Element and the Tarragon and Milk bring in even more. The Water Element is represented by the Egg in the Dumplings. The Fire Element is missing except for the bit of Pepper and the Water and Earth Elements could also use some support. So I served this dish with a Lettuce and Tomato (Fire Element) and Cucumber (Earth Element) Salad sprinkled with Sunflower Seeds (Water Element) to create a Five Element meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment