Monday, February 12, 2018

Smooth Mushroom Pate


I recently ate at a wonderful Seattle restaurant, Tilth.  One of the appetizers that I loved was their Mushroom Pate. It was smooth and creamy and delightful spread on Crackers. I've been thinking about it ever since and tonight I decided to try to make it.  I had a big bunch of Button Mushrooms in the fridge as I was originally going to roast them (a previous post) but they got repurposed in this Pate and I'm so glad - it was so delicious!  I used Shallots and Thyme for seasoning and Butter to cook the Mushrooms in and also make it more creamy.  Ii used a Stick Blender to puree it, but it would actually be smoother in a regular blender I think. Anyway, I was so happy with this recipe that I'm sharing it with you. This recipe is a keeper!

Mushroom Pate

4 cups chopped Button Mushrooms
¼ cup chopped Shallots
6 Tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)

In a large frying pan on medium high heat, melt the Butter and add in the Shallots. Cook until the Shallots soften. Then add in the Mushrooms, Salt and Thyme, reserving a few leaves for garnish. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often until the Mushrooms exude all their juices and then keep stirring until the liquid evaporates. Place the Mushroom mixture in a mixing bowl and use a Stick Blender (or put into a blender) and puree until smooth.

Spoon into two ramekins and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the remaining fresh Thyme leaves and serve with Crackers.

Five Element Analysis


Mushrooms belong to the Earth Element. The Butter, Shallots and Thyme bring in the Metal Element and depending on the kind of crackers you serve this Mushroom Pate with, you will be either adding Wheat, which is the Wood Element, Rice Crackers which give you more Metal or Seed Crackers which bring in the Water Element. This dish is clearly meant to be eaten before a main course, so be sure to bring in the missing Elements there.


No comments:

Post a Comment