Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Summer Sesame Noodles with Chicken


Summer is salad season and every day I think of a new and different salad. I got inspired to make Sesame Noodles as to me, it's a quintessential dish for a hot day. If you make it ahead and chill it in the refrigerator, it becomes a refreshing lunch full of flavor and different textures. I make it with Gluten Free Spaghetti (Schar Bonte D'Italia) and I'm pleased to say that it turned out perfectly. But if you chill it too long, you need to warm it up a bit or the noodles get a little stiff. Sesame Noodles are so delicious. I've made a similar recipe on this blog before using Peanut Butter but I really like Sesame version better. In fact, I use Tahini rather than an Asian brand because I like how creamy it is. Tahini needs a bit more seasoning and you can make it as spicy as you like by adding more Chili flakes but I like it mild. I like my salads to be my main dish so I add Chicken, but it is just as good without.  I loved this salad so much that I will definitely be making it again soon!

Summer Sesame Noodles with Chicken

1 Chicken Breast half, poached or roasted (Rotisserie Chicken leftovers work well) 
1 package Spaghetti Noodles (I used Schar Bonte D'Italia brand)
1/2 cup Tahini
4 Tablespoons Hot Water
1/4 cup Tamari or Soy Sauce 
1 Tablespoon toasted Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon neutral tasting Vegetable Oil
1/2 teaspoon Salt (omit if using Soy Sauce)
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
2 teaspoons or more Chili Garlic Sauce, Chili Oil or Chili Flakes
3 large Garlic Cloves minced
1 large Carrot, trimmed, peeled and cut into julienne pieces
1 Cucumber, 
3 Tablespoons minced Scallion
Optional:  2 Tablespoons toasted Sesame Seeds

Shred the chicken and put aside. Then cook the Spaghetti according to package directions in boiling salted water, drain. While Pasta is cooking, mix the sauce. In the serving bowl, combine the Tahini with the Hot Water and stir until thinned out and blended. Add in the Tamari, Salt, Sugar, Vinegar, Garlic and Chili Sauce. Mix to blend. Toss with cooked, drained Spaghetti and the Carrot and Cucumber.  Sprinkle with the Scallion pieces and the Sesame Seeds. Cool in the refrigerator for about 15 - 30 minutes.


Five Element Analysis

Tahini, which is made from Sesame Seeds is part of the Water Element and the Tamari adds even more.The Vinegar and Chicken contribute the Wood Element. The Chili Garlic Sauce brings in a bit of Fireand the Carrot and Cucumber make sure that the Earth Element is represented. Finally, the Scallion and Garlic bring add the Metal Element. All elements are present but the Fire Element needs a bit of support so serve this Sesame Noodle Salad with Tea to create a Five Element balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment