Friday, August 5, 2016

English Flapjacks




I am an avid reader and I have been all my life. There was a period of time when I read a lot of novels set in England and I kept reading about Flapjacks being served in bakeries. I was very puzzled until one time I asked my English friend why they served Pancakes in a bakery. She explained that it was actually like a cookie, most likely the first energy bars made and they are very sweet and delicious!  So I tried them and of course got the recipe. They consist of Oatmeal, Golden Syrup - which is made from Cane Sugar, Brown Sugar and Butter. I added a pinch of Salt to balance the flavor. They are perfect for people who are eating Gluten Free and still need a sugar fix. You bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes and let them cool as they come out very soft. I only make a small amount at a time, but this recipe can easily be doubled. There are also all kinds of ingredients you could add in like dried fruit, nuts and seeds. Flapjacks are wonderful with a cup of tea and taste like a bowl of sweetened Oatmeal in a cookie!


English Flapjacks

2 ounces of softened unsalted Butter (2 Tablespoons)
4 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 1/4 cups of Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a mixing bowl, combine the Butter, Salt, Brown Sugar and Golden Syrup.  Stir until blended thoroughly.  Then add in the Rolled Oats and stir to combine.  

Pour into a small baking dish or cake pan (5 - 6 inches across) and pat down, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until Golden Brown in the center (the edges will be darker). Cool before cutting into wedges or squares or triangles to serve.

Five Element Analysis

Well this dessert is almost completely Earthy as the Oats belong to the Earth Element as does the Golden Syrup and Brown Sugar.  The Butter brings in the Metal Element and the amount of Salt is so small that it doesn't count for much. So, this is a great dessert to serve with Tea, which brings in the Fire Element and after a meal that needs more of the Earth Element!



No comments:

Post a Comment