Friday, July 1, 2016

Apricot Almond Pudding Cake



I've had a bit of a sweet tooth lately, as I think I need some grounding. Tonight, I decided to experiment with something that I have been thinking about for days. It all started with Apricots that were ripening fast and I decided they needed to be used in a dessert. I dug out an old recipe from Claudia Roden for her now well known Orange Almond Cake that I have made many times. I decided to use Apricots instead of the boiled Oranges she uses in that recipe. I didn't cook the Apricots and the cake got done in much less time than her original recipe as the recipe was halved. It makes a thin cake so if you want it thicker, double the recipe. If you do that, make it in a Springform pan. This cake turned out so moist and creamy that it tasted much more like a pudding to me and it was a big hit with everyone here. The Apricot taste is subtle and it gives the cake a beautiful peachy color. I absolutely loved it and will no doubt be making it more often this way than with Oranges. Thank you Claudia Roden for your classic recipe! I served it with sugared Strawberries, but my son liked his straight from the pan with no adornment. It is a delicate and delicious cake!

Apricot Almond Pudding Cake

6 Apricots, seeded, quartered and peeled
3 eggs
1/2 cup Almond Meal
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a cake pan and put aside. Puree the Apricots in a food processor or blender and then place in a large bowl. Mix it with the Eggs, Almond Meal, Sugar, Baking Powder and Salt. Pour it into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. If doubling the recipe, cook for about 60 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.

Five Element Analysis

This is a sweet dessert so you know that the Earth Element is involved and the Almond Meal contributes even more the Earth Element. The Apricots bring in the Fire Element and the Eggs addd the Water Element There is no representation by the Wood Element or the Metal Element. So, make sure foods from those elements is present in the main meal to create a Five Element balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment