Friday, January 31, 2014

Curly Kale Salad with Pomegranate and Pepitas




















It's Chinese New Year today so Happy New Year!  It's the anniversary of 5 Element Food. This blog started 4 years ago at this time - the Year of the Tiger. I'm actually quite surprised how long I've been doing this and how many viewers I've had - I'm honored that you are following me and using my recipes! Today begins the Year of the Horse and I am in the midst of getting ready for my Chinese New Year party tomorrow (I will post the new recipes for you).  But in the meantime, I really just wanted a salad last night. I had a ripe Pomegranate sitting on my kitchen window that really needed to be eaten. And, I needed to clean out the vegetable bin and found a bunch of Curly Kale and decided to make yet another Kale Salad. Kale is still not my favorite vegetable, but Kale Salad has become a big hit with Martin and my sons.  So, I decided to create a dressing made with lemon juice, Pomegranate Molasses and Olive Oil. I added the Pomegranate seeds, Pepitas (Roasted Pumpkin Seeds) for crunch and red onion for some zing.  The salad was beautiful as you can see and absolutely delicious. I loved it!  This Kale Salad recipe is a keeper and may replace the other ones while Pomegranates remain in season.


Curly Kale Salad with Pomegranate and Pepitas

1 bunch Curly Kale
1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
1/2 cup Pepitas (Toasted Pumpkin Seeds)
1/2 red onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
Juice of 2 lemons
2 Tablespoons Pomegranate Molasses
1 Heaping Tablespoon of Honey
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Salt 

In a small bowl, mix together the onion, lemon juice, Pomegranate Molasses, Honey, Salt and Olive Oil.  Let sit while preparing the Kale so the onion can marinate.  

Pull the leafy part of the Kale off the ribs and tear into small pieces. Place in a large bowl. Then add the dressing and massage into the Kale. Then top with Pomegranate Seeds and Pepitas to serve.

Five Element Analysis

Kale as all dark greens, belongs to the Wood Element and the lemon juice and olive oil add even more.  The Pomegranate seedscontributes the Fire Element and the Honey and Pomegranate Molasses bring in the Earth Element. Finally, the salt and Pumpkin seeds contribute the Water Element that makes this a balanced Five Element salad!


No comments:

Post a Comment