Monday, October 7, 2013

Savory Clams




















This is my favorite way of making clams and I am so surprised that I haven't posted it yet as I make it fairly often.  It is my go-to recipe for Linguine with Clams and it is really easy. I love the addition of tomatoes as the tartness works so well with the sweetness of the clams and I think it gives the sauce more depth. Clams and other mollusks may be the original fast food (along with eggs) as they cook so quickly. I like to use small clams as they are more tender and if you use bigger ones, it may take a few minutes more cooking time.  

Clams in Chinese Medicine are incredibly good for supporting the kidneys and the reproductive organs and also cleanse the liver. Luckily, they are also tasty as well as being very nutritious.

I like to serve these over mashed potatoes, which may sound strange, but is absolutely delicious. It makes the broth and potatoes mix into a creamy, briny delight. But, my kids are partial to eating these clams with lots of pieces of French bread, hot out of the oven so I serve it both ways or with al dente Linguine.  I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

Savory Clams

2 pounds fresh clams
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large shallot minced (or 1/4 cup minced onion and a minced garlic clove)
5 - 6 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
1 cup White Wine (I used Semillon but I also use Chardonnay regularly)
Optional: Pinch of Red Pepper flakes

In a large frying pan (with a lid), put in the olive oil and heat until it separates in the pan. Add in the shallots and cook until they start to become translucent and soft.  Put in tomatoes and stir (watch out as they splatter).  Cook until tomatoes soften.  Add in wine and give it a good stir then put in the clams.  Cover and steam for 5 minutes. Remove the clams that do not open and put into a large bowl.  Serve over mashed potatoes and/or with a fresh crusty baguette to soak up the broth!

Five Element Analysis

Clams belong to the Water Element family, whereas Olive Oil brings in the Wood Element and serving it with bread or pasta contributes even more.  The tomatoes and white wine add the Fire Element and the Red Pepper adds even more fiery pop! The potatoes (if you use them) are an Earthy food and the milk and butter make sure that there is even more of the Metal Element than the shallots bring in. Served this way, all Five Elements are accounted for and this then is a light balanced meal or appetizer course all by itself!


No comments:

Post a Comment