Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tuna Salad Three Ways





















I have a great love of Tuna Salad and often make it like a dip to eat with tortilla chips when I am not in the mood for a sandwich. My fondness for canned tuna goes way back. When I returned to the US after living in Japan and started school, my mother had no idea what to pack in our lunches. I got teased for bringing rice rolled in Nori and our neighbor, Mrs. Vaughan saved the day. She took my mother grocery shopping and taught her how to make American style sandwiches and tuna was one of the sandwiches I liked best. For me, it has to be made with Best Food Mayonnaise (Hellman's for those on the East Coast) and I even bring it with me to friend's houses in Europe as I don't like what passes for mayonnaise in many countries - it is more like Salad Dressing (such as Miracle Whip).  Sometimes I like my tuna really simple - just tuna and mayonnaise, but sometimes I like to dress it up. And, I almost always have canned tuna in my cupboard. Here are three variations of Tuna Salad that I am very fond of making. The first is Spicy Tuna adapted from Joe and the Juice in Copenhagen.  It is made with Tabasco and Pickled Jalapenos and served on toasted rye bread with pesto, if you want to be authentic to the Copenhagen version. The second version is Curried Tuna Salad  that my friend Sherri makes with Water Chestnuts, Curry Powder and Pickle Relish that I usually serve on a soft whole grain bread. I like it with the crusts cut off and made into finger sandwiches. The third version that I make contains finely minced carrot, celery, green or red onion, dill and sometimes even hardboiled egg. This is the one I am most likely to serve as a dip and if you add more Mayonnaise is wonderful when mixed with small pasta. All three tuna salads are addictive and I hope you will try them!

Spicy Tuna Salad ala Joe and the Juice



2 6oz cans of tuna packed in water
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
8 - 12 shakes of Tabasco Sauce
1/2 cup of sliced pickled Jalapenos (Jalapenos in Escabeche)
European Style Whole Rye Bread, toasted
Pre-made Pesto to spread on the bread
Optional:  1 Tablespoon minced dill

Drain the tuna and place in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to flake the tuna finely. Mix the tuna, mayonnaise, dill (if using) and Tabasco Sauce - adding more Tabasco if desired.  Spread pesto onto both sides of the toasted bread (preferably Sourdough Rye.  Place a mound of tuna on the bread and press down with a fork.  Place pickled Jalapenos on top.  Add the top slice of bread and serve.  Repeat - makes about 3 sandwiches.

Sherri's Curried Tuna Salad



2 6oz cans of tuna packed in water
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 Tablespoon Curry Powder (I like McCormick and Schmicks)
2 Tablespoons  Pickle Relish (I like Del Monte)
1 5oz can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped

Drain the tuna and place in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to flake the tuna finely. Mix the tuna, mayonnaise, curry powder, pickle relish and water chestnuts together.  Serve on soft whole wheat bread (crusts cut off if desired) and cut into quarters.   


Tuna with Vegetables and Fresh Dill



2 6oz cans of tuna packed in water
1/2 cup Mayonnaise and 2 or 3 Tablespoons more for a dip or as a pasta salad dressing
1 Tablespoon fresh Dill, minced
1 carrot, peeled, trimmed and cut into a small dice
1 large celery stalk, washed, trimmed and cut into a small dice
1 green onion, washed, trimmed and cut into a small pieces or 1/4 cup minced Red Onion
Optional - one hard boiled egg, cut finely

Drain the tuna and place in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to flake the tuna finely. Mix the tuna, mayonnaise, dill, carrots, celery and onion together.  Serve with tortilla chips or fresh cooked small pasta (like shells or macaroni) or make into a sandwich.  


Five Element Analysis



Tuna of course belongs to the Water Element and Mayonnaise is considered part of the Metal Element so those elements are covered by any of these recipes. All the other additions bring in the other different elements. The Pickled Jalapenos are both Wood and Fire and the Tabasco adds even more Fire, whereas the Pesto contributes Wood and Metal. Curry Powder adds the Metal Element, Water Chestnuts bring in the Earth Element and Pickle Relish is both Wood and Earth.  Carrots also add the Earth Element, Celery brings in the Wood Element, and Green or Red Onions and Dill add the Metal Element.  The breads also contribute - Wheat and Rye are Wood and Tortilla Chips that I like to use when I make the tuna salad into a dip bring in the Earth Element. Or the tuna can be served on lettuce to bring in more of the Fire Element. So you can see that each addition helps makes the tuna salad more balanced in a Five Element way.


No comments:

Post a Comment