Monday, September 17, 2012

Martin's Special Salad
















This is a salad I’ve been eating all summer long whenever Martin and I have landed somewhere on our frequent travels where we have had a kitchen. I had my doubts about a salad dressing without very much oil, but I find this to be incredibly refreshing salad and of course it is very low calorie too. This salad contains slivers of red onion and lots of fresh dill with a dressing that is made of only lemon juice and salt, which soften the onions and somehow makes them sweeter. It is now one of my favorite go-to salads and I have served it as a side to many meat dishes. Even now as the weather is getting cooler, we have been serving it with soup.

I’ve always loved iceberg lettuce because of its’ crunch and it actually has a lot more nutritional value than most people think – it contains iron, Vitamins A, B6, C and K and folate.  It’s also a good source of dietary fiber and of course has no fat. So, I encourage you to try this salad – I think it will surprise you just as it surprised me with its' wonderful flavor and texture.


Martin’s Special Salad

1 small head iceberg lettuce
1 handful of dill leaves, chopped
1 small red onion, ends removed, peeled and sliced into thin slivers
1 teaspoon salt
1 large lemon
A drizzle of olive oil

Wash lettuce leaves and dry in a salad spinner.  Tear the leaves into small pieces and place in a salad bowl.  Sprinkle the red onions and dill over the salad.  About 10 minutes before serving, sprinkle the salad with the salt and squeezed the lemon juice over the top and drizzle on olive oil if using it.  Let the salad sit for the full 10 minutes and then toss lightly to serve.

Five Element Analysis

Lettuce belongs to the Fire Element so that element is covered.  Dill leaves contribute the Metal Element and so do the red onions.  The lemon juice brings in the Wood Element and the salt adds just a bit of the Water Element and this element needs some support.  So,I recommend that you serve this salad with a meal that contains another Water food and an Earth food too in order create  a five element balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment